Pages

September 19, 2013

SPLAT!!

So as I was driving home one grateful Saturday afternoon, I passed by the infamous Dairy Queen and I thought yum-my. I go through the Dairy Queen drive-through and order me a mocha moolatte while my mom ordered a banana split WITHOUT THE NUTS! I'm thinking she's crazy, who orders a banana split without the nuts. I mean the nuts make it the American classic it is.
So I decided to take her craziness and my craziness to create a cupcake based on the All-American Classic, the banana split. I made a banana cupcake.
Then made a strawberry buttercream frosting and topped it all off with hot fudge, a pineapple and the most important cherry on top. And what a delight it was to see my banana split cupcake come to life. I even put the nuts on the side to pacify my mom. 
Enjoy!

The Recipe

Banana Cupcake
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter softened
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 ripe bananas mashed
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
Strawberry Frosting
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 3½ – 4 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
  • 4 tablespoons strawberry syrup
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons half-and-half, heavy cream or whole milk
Optional
  • pinch of salt
  • pineapple
  • cherries
  • nuts
  • hot fudge
1.       Preheat oven 350°F.
2.       In large bowl, cream butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
3.       In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
4.       Add eggs, vanilla and banana; mix well.
5.       Add flour mixture alternately with sour cream; blend thoroughly but do not over mix.
6.       Pour into prepared pans. Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7.       Cool 10 minutes in pan on rack; remove and cool completely before decorating.
8.       Cream together butter and ½ cup of confectioner’s sugar at a time. After each cup of sugar has been added, add strawberry syrup 1 tablespoon at a time, then add vanilla and then beat on high for about 20 seconds to lighten the frosting.
9.       Add half-and-half, one tablespoon at a time until the buttercream has reached a consistency where it will hold its shape. Add pinch of salt and whip on high for a final 20 seconds.
10.   Use immediately or cover and refrigerate up to three days. To use once refrigerated, slowly allow to reach room temperature and then beat on low speed until the buttercream is smooth before using.
11.   Add pineapple, cherries, hot fudge, or nuts if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts good or bad :)